Sunday, 21 August 2011

Weekend stuff

The weekend was glorious sunshine (and Monday today is bright and sunny too...).

Saturday was garage sale day for me (Nathan was at work - due to snow and catch up time) and so I poured over the newspaper classified section before heading to a few sales.   Garage sales are the new thing in Christchurch because a) everyone is leaving and b) there is no town centre to browse in... The first sale was in a pretty bad earthquake area - the roads were destroyed.  The sellers there had been bombarded with the early bargain hunters and had practically nothing left but I did manage to secure a double blow up bed for $5 (£2.50) which was on the list of "must gets" for extra guests! 
 Those people were moving to Sydney...

The next sale I was a day too early - I read the paper wrong (as did the other 4 people who arrived the same time as me...) but the guy let me into his unorganised garage and I managed to get my first piece of coloured glass from this guy for £1/$2 - a light blue tall vase.... happy with that and am now on the look out for more for a collection.  He was off to the Gold Coast - His kids couldn't surf on the beach any more so Christchurch was a bit of a drag these days.... ummmm.  At least you have a beach and the surfing will come back (the surf is out of bounds at the moment because of the sewage due to the earthquake but it is due to be cleaned up by Xmas).... I do find it interesting to hear the tales of the people who are leaving.  Some of them say they wouldn't have had the courage to do it if it wasn't for the quakes... others can't see the good that remains in the city.  I think it is people who mainly can't cope with change. 

Anyway... Sunday was a trip around the harbour day picnicking and finding some random lamas to feed!   Here are some pictures...






We tried to head home over a different mountain....errrr mistake.  The snow got deeper and deeper and then a 4WD was reversing down the mountain as it had failed to get over the top.... Poor little 660cc car had to reverse in snow down a steep mountain.  Oh an adventure - and it is always nice to appreciate being alive and not falling off the side of the mountain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment